top of page

Important Monuments

Monument to Washington

A crowd estimated at 1000 people attended the planting of the Washington Elm and dedication of the bronze marker at the end of South Main Street.  The committee in charge was composed of Ms. Susan Ross, Mrs. L. M. Britton, Mrs. J. R. Engle, and J. D. Miller as color bearer.  The program opened with singing "America the Beautiful" and "America" by the public-school children after which a reading, "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer was given by Miss Gertrude Keller. An address on "Washington" was given by Rev. G. M. Payne, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, and an interesting talk was given by Mayor O. E. Ross on "Ideals of Washington Being Carried Out in Tree Planting and Mayor Other Enterprises During This Year". The plot of ground where the tree was planted was presented as a gift from the City to the D.A.R. chapter and American Legion.  Mrs. Sarah Hewitt Clevenger, a real granddaughter of the Revolution, dedicated the tree and unveiled the marker, which bears the inscription, "To the Memory of George Washington 1732-1779."

0 01Washington close.JPG

Metal Monuments-White Bronze

0 001 Lasley4.JPG
0 001 Lasley1.JPG

The price of these monuments ranged from under $10.00 to over $5,000.00.  They are made from pure zinc.

​

If one looks closely, one can see that there are a handful of nineteenth century monuments which are not made of stone.  Unlike their stone counterparts, these monuments have resisted weathering and most survive in excellent condition.  These monuments were case from pure zinc.  Zinc forms a coating of zinc carbonate, that when left exposed, is rust resistant.  The monuments have taken on a bluish-gray color that is a result of zinc-carbonate.  The term "white bronze" was used only to make the monuments sound more appealing.  

Epitaphs are commonly found above the base of the sculptures.  All monuments contain symbols, most of a religious nature.  Some are topped with crosses, while others have Biblical scriptures quoted on their base.  One commonly found symbol is a bushel of wheat.  Wheat is sued instead of bread to symbolize the body of Christ.  One the grave monuments it is used to show remembrance and gratitude for his sacrifice.  It can only be used to symbolize that great harvest has come and like has ended.  Another symbol commonly found is that of the rose.  Roses symbolize beauty and can also symbolize the Virgin Mary.  Crosses are present on many of the metal monuments.

Two men, M.A. Richardson and C.J. Willard, are credited with perfecting the means of casting these metal monuments in 1873. They did not have the capital wo set up a factory, so they contracted with W.W. Evans.  Evans quickly gave up on the idea and sold the rights to Wilson, Parsons, and Company of Bridgeport Connecticut.  The plaster casts were made from wax models.  The metal casts were made in pieces and then fused together using hot zinc.  Monumental Bronze Co. made the monuments from 1874 to 1914.  The government took over the plant during WWI making munition and the company dissolved in 1939.

Tree Stump Monument

The tree-stump tombstone depicts a lifelike tree and is traditionally carved out of limestone or marble.  This tombstone first appeared in the 1870's.  This design was popular for approximately sixty years.  Seen in Europe and the United States, these carvings qualify as folk art.  The tree-stump design shows a living tree that has been cut down, suggesting that the individual was also cut down in the prime of life.  Branches are also seen to be cut to the stump, symbolizing other family members who have died before their time.  In some instances, the initial of these family members appear to be carved into these cut off limbs.  Inscriptions are cut into the "wood" where the bark has been cut away. Or, more often, a scroll appears to be nailed to the stump, or suspended from a rope hanger.  Various flowers and ivy are often carved as offering at the base or growing around the stump.  An assortment of items are often seen on the top of the stump, including the names and dates for the individuals buried.  

Lesley David.JPG

The cemetery is trying to repair and/or replace foundations in the older parts of the cemetery.  These foundations have deteriorated or have sunk into the ground through the years.  The families associated with the monuments have long ago passed away and there are no descendants left to take care of the repairs.  Some foundations have become too weak to hold the stones placed on them and need extensive repair.  The caretake of the cemetery is keeping track of the foundations that need special attention and is attempting to replace or repair them as funds will allow.  If you would like to donate to this project, please call the cemetery office at 765-584-3401.

Fountain Park Cemetery

700 S. Main Street

Winchester, IN 47394

765-584-3401

Office Hours:

Monday-Friday

8:00 am - 12:00 pm

Other Hours By Appointment

©2023 by Fountain Park Cemetery 

bottom of page